Blogging has had to take a back seat recently as I have been using every spare minute to try and understand a little more of the trinity (it’s a bit of a power drain on my 2 amp brain to be honest). However I thought I’d post my notes on the last weekend with Terry Virgo and Mike Bett’s where we were treated to 4 hugely helpful preaches. Here they are with a few questions:
1) How to build : 2 Chron 1-5?
- Ch 1 established his throne. He was king by grace (he was the son of Bathsheba)
- Ch 2 Made a decision to build (dream->commit)
- Ch 3 began to build (dates, cubits, commitment, cost, confrontation, a life of prayer, ..)
- Ch 5 he finished what he started. Don’t mess up! (although he did later, “Hey rich boy, are you going to finish it”. Terry’s quote from Robin Hood Prince of Thieves)
Q : What are we building?
2) How not to build : Gen 11:1-9
- They tried to make a name for themselves
- “Doctor Jojo magic space money”
- A South Korean grandmother, now known nationwide as “Grandma Cha Sa-soon,” has achieved a record that causes people to first shake their heads with astonishment and then smile. Because Cha Sa-soon failed her driver’s test hundreds of times but never gave up. Finally, she got her license — on her 960th attempt.Cha Sa-soon, 69, whose surname coincidentally means “vehicle” in Korean, is now appearing in a prime-time advertisement for Hyundai, Korea’s largest carmaker.
- James Harrison 74, an Australian man has been donating his extremely rare kind of blood for 56 years and saved the lives of more than two million babies. An antibody in his plasma stops babies dying from Rhesus disease, a form of severe anaemia.
- Joseph Scriven : His fiancé drowned the night before the marriage ceremony. Heart broken he moved to Canada. Finally he fell in love again. His fiancée died of pneumonia. He wrote a poem to his mother: “What a Friend we have in Jesus”
- God will give us a new name (Is 62:2, 2 Sam 7:9)
- Notice how non of the people in Babel are mentioned!! God erased their names!
- They said to one another
- No prophetic foundation
- They looked at what they had and said “we can do it!”. We need to hear God and step out even if we don’t have what we need.
- God was interested
- He was attracted to what they were doing. He always wanted a city. People together.
- He undid it and brought it to nothing. Then later he did it himself at Pentecost.
Q: What would it mean for us to make Jesus name great and trust God to make our great?
3) Moses call : Ex 3:1-21
- Why he was reluctant
- past failure and disappointment, bitterness “I tried it once and look where it God me”. He had tried to stand up for his people but had run ahead of God.
- False humility that angers God “I am nothing”. Actually you are someone and your life matters. The old prayer “Hide the preacher” is unbiblical. God loves people and names. We are made in his image to be displayed! The bible is full of names. GOd records your name and your deed and will give you rewards for what you do. It matters what you do!
Q: Do we have any past experiences holding us back? How we move forward?
Q: What can hide behind false humility?
4) Sunday : The lepers 2 Kings 6:24-7:10
- The whole story turns on people who have nothing to lose. They are free because they are dead. People who are not holding on to their lives are very powerful.
- They enjoyed the spoils. We sometimes rush onto the bit where they go back and tell everyone but we need to linger here a bit first. Do we know what we have in Jesus? They had food and drink and gold and silver and gems and fine clothing.
Q: What would we do if we had nothing to lose?
Q: What spoils do we have? How can we enjoy them?
Here are the words to “What a Friend we have in Jesus”
What a Friend we have in Jesus, all our sins and griefs to bear! What a privilege to carry everything to God in prayer! O what peace we often forfeit, O what needless pain we bear, All because we do not carry everything to God in prayer.
Have we trials and temptations? Is there trouble anywhere? We should never be discouraged; take it to the Lord in prayer. Can we find a friend so faithful who will all our sorrows share? Jesus knows our every weakness; take it to the Lord in prayer.
Are we weak and heavy laden, cumbered with a load of care? Precious Savior, still our refuge, take it to the Lord in prayer. Do your friends despise, forsake you? Take it to the Lord in prayer! In His arms He’ll take and shield you; you will find a solace there.
Blessed Savior, Thou hast promised Thou wilt all our burdens bear May we ever, Lord, be bringing all to Thee in earnest prayer. Soon in glory bright unclouded there will be no need for prayer, Rapture, praise and endless worship will be our sweet portion there.
Just listened to this version here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLnfqpBQbnU then read this comment underneath:
Wonderful! It really consols me.
Today I was informed I have stomach cancer.
I couldn’t believe that. Even though photos from endoscopy seemed quite bad, I didn’t trust them.
After I got result today, I was dismayed for one,two hour,but calmed down again.
It’s amazing how I came to hear those hymns often these days: O Happy Day(welsch hymn), Amazing Grace, and this hymn.
How can I worry about my disease after I found Jesus washed my sins away?