Just been translating the first few verses of the book of Jonah again to try to keep up my Hebrew and was struck by something I had not noticed before. As the sailors are fervently praying to their gods and throwing stuff out of the boat to try to weather the storm (caused by Jonah running away from God), Jonah goes down into the bottom of the inner parts (literally “thighs”) of the ship to sleep! There is a tone of stuff right there isn’t there! Wow.
- Our ability to sleep through a storm
- Our desire to escape reality
- Our temptation to ignore our responsibly
- Our ability to discount the effects of our actions
- Our tendency to go as low as we can go
- The lengths we go to to run away from God