I went to The Open Venue yesterday for the start of Roy Todd’s healing Encounter tour. I read a great book by him a few months ago called “In Pursuit of the miraculous” and so was very keen to go. It was the next way point on a journey I have been on since watching a testimony of Delia Knox on the internet.
At the start a guy called Dave Bell lead some great worship and then gave his testimony. He was very seriously ill with a rare tumor behind his eye but by God’s grace and the doctors skill he has made a miraculously full recovery. I didn’t realize at the time that he was Stuart Bells son who heads up (?) Ground level. City church in Norwich is also part of this Network.
After another song Roy gave a talk on Jesus’ Manifesto:
- Jesus gave his manifesto when he read form the scroll of Isaiah at the beginning of his ministry:
- The spirit of the Sovereign Lord is on me to:
- 1) Preach good news.
- We must not turn good news into bad. The gospel is good news. The church has good news to tell people. Yes there is a day of judgment coming but now is the year of favor.
- Jesus bore God’s wrath on the cross (me – it was so thrilling and exciting to hear the gospel proclaimed so clearly).
- He died for the world but he did it for you.
- Death could not hold him. He burst forth from the grave.
- This is something to cheer about. Better than a football team scoring a goal.
- 2) Freedom for the prisoners.
- In the well off democratic West we think we are free but it’s more about freedom in our hearts. Sometimes the things we think we are free to do are the things that end up enslaving us.
- “It is for freedom that Christ has set us free”.
- “Some need a hug. Some need a kick up the butt.”
- Like an eagle kicked out of the nest. (he is talking to Christians at this point I think, encouraging them to go for it, I guess in things like healing and sharing the gospel)
- A mother eagle will try to get her young out of the nest by flying around to demonstrate to them what they can do. When that fails she might try destroying the nest but still her chicks cling to the side of the cliff and try to get comfy there. Finally she bumps them off the side and they fall off. Just before they impact on the ground below she catches them, flies them back and pushes them off again until they finally get it.
- She might have to do it 20 or 30 times. (Not sure if this is a true story or not!)
- 3) To recover the sight of the blind.
- There is spiritual and physical blindness.
- 4) Release the oppressed.
- Oppressed means chained down, weighed down, burdened.
- Free from: Sin, sickness and Satan
- God heals. “Does it mean we have all the answers. No. We simply keep believing that God is who he says he is.”
He then told a story about a lady whose legs had got stronger as she was helped up out of a wheel chair. She ended up walking around. Her doctor was there at the time and said it was a miracle. He was the one who said she would probably never walk again.
Over 30 people responded to the gospel and when he prayed for people at the end a dozen or so people testified to being healed. Some testified to being free from pain, others that some degree of movement had come back to a limb. Obviously others need to check things out with their doctor.
Oh, here is an interesting comment he made: “The devil goes to church more than some Christians.” He also said at some point “The grace of God is not fair. We don’t get a quota that gets used up.”
About Norwich he said it was no coincidence that this was the starting point of the tour. He was going to go all round the UK and then to the States but he said that it was significant that he was starting here.
“I am here to proclaim favor over Norwich….This is the year of God’s favor….People will talk about this night for years to come…..Healing and miracles on a scale never seen before. Get rid of cynicism. I pronounce miracles so great that the secular media will notice it. Blind eyes opening. Revival is not something you go to its you. You are revival.”